Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.

Monday, February 18, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I get my birth certificate back when applying for a new passport or child passport?

Why do I have to complete the government application on the government's website?

When you want your passport processed quickly, the State Department requires that you submit the typed in barcoded version of the passport application. You must do this on the government's website and then print it out. Our checklist will link you to the government site and give you instructions on how to complete. If you send in the handwritten government application it will be rejected and cause a 2 to 3 business day delay.

My child has an expired passport, is that a renewal or a child passport?

If the passport applicant is under 16 years old - it is always a "child passport" application. There is no such thing as a renewal for a child passport, only an adult passport can be renewed.

What is a Passport Card?

A passport card is the size of a driver's license but can be used to cross the US border by land or by sea. You CANNOT fly out of the country with a passport card. Generally a passport card is convenient for people that live very close to the Canadian or Mexican border or for truckers that cross the land border often.

What do I do if my passport was lost or stolen?

There is a specific application process for a lost or stolen passport. Simply submit your order on our website for a lost passport and follow the emailed checklist very closely. You will need a valid driver's license and proof of citizenship like a birth certificate or naturalization certificate when applying under a lost passport application.

How does the Hand Carry Express Process Work?

It's Simple! Step 1 you submit your order on our site for whatever type of application you need. This is basically like making a reservation. Within 1 minute of submitting your order you are automatically emailed your order confirmation as well as a detailed checklist specific to the type of application you need. Follow that emailed checklist very closely and give us a call when you have all the paperwork completed. We like to double check the paperwork and make sure everything is perfect. You FedEx the documents to us and we handle the rest within the guaranteed timeframe you chose.

My passport expired a while ago can I still do a renewal?

In order to apply for a passport renewal it must have been a passport valid for 10 years. You can renew a 10 year passport any time while it is still valid, or up to five years after it expired. If your passport expired over 5 years ago, you must apply for a new passport. If your passport is damaged in any way, you must apply for a damaged passport.

Do I need a passport to fly to Canada? Does my child need one also?

The answer is yes. When flying out of the country everyone regardless of age must have a valid US Passport. When driving across the border, children under the age of 16 can cross the border with just a birth certificate - if 16 or older you must have a valid passport even when driving.

I just became a naturalized citizen how to I apply for a new passport?

You simply follow the "new passport" process. Start by submitting your order on our website for a new passport and follow the emailed checklist very closely. You will be required to send in your actual naturalization certificate which will come back to you with the completed passport.

How are the government passport fees paid?

The US Department of State passport fee can be paid with a personal check or money order. Follow our checklist for the exact payment amount for your type of passport application. The check or money order must be made out to "US Department of State" and please make sure that your name and address is preprinted on the personal check. Starter checks and post dates will be rejected by the government.

What do I do if I can't find my birth certificate?

Unless you have an old passport in your possession, you must produce your birth certificate when applying for your passport. You should contact the county clerk in the county you were born to order a new birth certificate and have it overnighted to you. Some states can do this in 3 days, other states take 3 weeks.

How should I sign my passport and/or my child's passport?

If this is your adult passport, you should sign it with your normal signature that you use everyday. If you are signing your minor child's passport, you should simply PRINT their name.

Is it possible to check the status of my passport application with Hand Carry Express?

Of course! If you registered in our system when you submitted your order you can always login and check the status of your application as it proceeds through the process. You will automatically receive a shipping confirmation email with tracking number as soon as your passport is completed and shipped. You can always give us a call if you have any questions regarding your application. Problem occur rarely (less than 2% of the time), but if there is a problem with your application we will call you immediately to fix this issue as soon as possible and minimize any delay.